If you already have a case number because either you started the case already or you were served with documents in the case by other parties, then you should follow these steps to file into the case. To watch a video about how to file into an existing case, click here.
Before starting ths process, you will need to have the documents that you want to send to the court saved as PDF file on your computer/laptop. For more information, click here.
You will need the court location and the case number to find the case and file into it. Sometimes, you can also use the party names to find the case.
There are two ways to search for an existing case that you want to file into.
1. From the Filer Dashboard, click the blue File into Existing Case button.
2. Click the orange Actions button in the top right corner. Choose File Into Existing Case from the list.
Next, follow these steps:
- Select the Location (court). Check the papers you were served with to confirm location. Many locations have different sub locations. (Ex: Magistrate, District Clerk, Justice of the Peace, Municipal Civil)
- Type in your case number.
- Click the Search button.
You can also search by party name. Enter the First and Last name or click is a Party/Entity to make that field a single entity.
- When the case appears, click on the black Actions button to the right of the case information, and choose File Into Case from the list.
- If your case is not found, click here for tips.
- If there are multiple listings for your case, you will need to contact the court to have them merged/consolidated into one listing.
- If you are filing into older cases (prior 2015), criminal cases, or in courts that don't have a link between the eFile site and their electronic case management systems, you may still have to fill out the Case Information and Party Information sections.
- To view more information about manually filing into older, criminal or non-integrated court locations, click here.
On existing cases, the Case Information and Party Information sections are already filled out, and you may scroll down to the Filings section. The existing content in the Case and Party information can only be changed by the court. Existing case information only allows these two options.
- If you click on a party name(highlights in blue), there is an option to add an attorney. (If no selection has been made for the Lead Attorney)
- You may also have the option to click Add Another Party to add more parties to the case. Note: You may need to click on one of the existing parties to see this option load.
To learn about the next required section, Filings, click here.
At the bottom of each article will be a link to follow the step by step process to complete the filing.
You can also click the links below to jump to other help articles related to the filing into an existing case process.