Adding an attorney to a case can be done while either starting a new case or filing into an existing case. Following the steps below:
- Scroll down to the Party Information section from the case you are filing into or initiating. You can choose to add a new party or work with an existing one.
- If it is an existing party, click on the party name. The party name will highlight, scroll down to see the party details.
- Left side of the screen, click into the drop down box that says "Lead Attorney".
- From this box you will have the opportunity to select one of the Attorneys who have been listed in your firm by your Firm Administrator. The source of this drop down box is from the Firm Attorneys list. If you click to add a new attorney to your firm, click here.
- Once you select your attorney, click on the Blue Save Changes.
Note: Additional Attorneys may be listed if the court allows. Underneath the Lead Attorney details, you will see an Additional Attorneys field with a button to Add Attorneys. If you select this, you can select additional attorneys for the party, then save the changes.
The filing must be submitted and accepted by the court for the attorney to be attached to the case.
Please note: If you need to remove or change the attorney of record, you will need to contact the court that you are filing into. The court may require you to file documents in order for them to make the change, but ultimately, they are the only ones who can make the change within the software.