The submission failed status reflects that the e-filing system was unable to process one or more PDF documents successfully and it has not been sent to the court.
If a PDF document does not meet the system requirements, it will not be accepted and the filing status will display as Submission Failed.
Common reasons for failure include, but are not limited to:
- Page size not being 8.5x11 inches
- A resolution higher than 300dpi
- Use of unintelligible images
- Fill-able boxes
- Unsupported fonts like ZapfDingbats, Wingdings, Symbols
- Password protection or Security on PDF documents
- URLs, shortcuts or hyperlinks included in the filing
- PDF Producers other than Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Word
- Corel Word Perfect PDF Producer - this is when Word Perfect is used to create PDFs. Using this PDF producer can cause submission failure with the EFile website.
One way to check for this information is to look at the Properties of one or all your documents.
If you using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader, open the document, click File and select Properties in the drop down menu.
In the Properties you can view the Page Size, Security and Fonts.
When your document fails submission, you will need to recreate the file before resubmitting. The most common method of doing so is to print the document and scan it back into your computer.
You can also "print" the document to PDF. Apple OS/ Mac users click here for instructions.
To do so, open the document and attempt to print. When presented with your printer options, select 'Adobe PDF' or 'Microsoft Print to PDF'. This will prompt you to rename and save the file. Use the new version of the document when you re-file the document(s).
Apple OS/ Mac
Mac 'Pages' users should 'export' to PDF instead of printing to PDF.
Click File and click Export To --> PDF
If your filing included multiple documents, it is recommended to Print to PDF or Export PDF on all documents. After re-submitting your corrected documents, check to make sure they are in Submitted status. This confirms that the documents were successfully sent to the court's review queue.
Recommended reading How do I convert my document to a PDF?
For more information about how to correct your filing; please see the attached "Submission Failed" document below.