If you get an email saying your filing has been returned or rejected, you can correct your filing and eFile it back to the court using the Copy Envelope feature in your Filing History. To find out why your filing was rejected, click here for more instructions.
Concerned about dates and deadlines? Click here to learn more.
Looking to correct a filing from another user in your Firm Account? Click here to see how to locate your firm's filings.
Copy envelope is going to copy everything in the rejected envelope and create a new draft number. In the new draft number, you will be able to make edits and changes before re-filing.
To copy a rejected filing, follow these steps:
- Click the orange Actions button at the top right.
- In the menu that appears, click Filing History.
- On the Filing History page, find your rejected or canceled filing that you want to fix.
- Click the corresponding black Actions option to the right of the filing you want to fix.
- In the menu that appears, click Copy Envelope.
- Please Note: All filings must be rejected in the envelope for the copy envelope option to appear. If there is at least one accepted filing, you will need to file into the case. The copy envelope can also only be used once. If you click the copy envelope, the envelope is likely in draft status which can be resumed. If the copy envelope option does not appear, simply create a new draft using the correct information.
Scroll down to the section where changes need to be made. If it's a new case submission, the case information, and party information can be modified.
Cook & DuPage County Filers: You may need to add the Case Cross Reference Number back to the envelope again before you can progress to the Party Information section. For more information, please refer to the articles below.
In the Filings Section. Click one of the Filing Codes to open up the filing details and make the changes the court told you to make. (See the first red circle #1 in the picture below.)
Scroll down to find the details that have been copied from the last submission.
If you need to remove a lead document, click the black X directly to the right of the document. (See the second red circle #2 in the picture below.)
After you click the X, the Lead document field will let you upload a new document. Click the gray button under the word Computer to add a new PDF document.
After you make all the changes to your filing click the blue Save Changes button in the bottom right corner.
Scroll down and click the blue Summary button at the bottom of the page.
On the Summary page, click the blue Submit button at the bottom of the page.
If you are not able to make a copy, you must create a new filing with corrections to submit it to the court.
Click here to learn what happens to the rejected filing fees.